Introducing... Luna Ruggiero


Luna Ruggiero is an artist that I would happily put money on to hit stardom. I think, well I know, that she has such a powerful voice and a unique outlook on music that comes from such a dark place. Yet when she first contacted me to listen to her single, Venomous, she presented herself with such infectious enthusiasm for her music it was hard to ignore. And yet I didn't want to avoid her because she's so incredibly talented that I had to get an interview with her to present her to you guys. So take a read of what Luna had to say about her musical beginnings, her unique recording sessions and her incessant training of her vocals...

Q. Hello Luna, firstly what made you get into music initially?
LR: It's such a hard question to answer! I think it started when I was a child, I would always be singing in my room and daydreaming all the time - even singing on the toilet! I used to have a little blue CD player and stacks of different artists from rock to pop. When I was feeling sad or angry or things I couldn't explain I would sing back to it.

Q. How long have you been making music?
LR:
I always wrote lyrics as a child and teenager but never did anything with it musically. I played the viola and violin in my high school orchestra for a few years and was also in the choir. I think I was super afraid of ever releasing anything as a teenager so I never really got into the industry until I was much older.
For the past few years I've been writing songs in bands, but only started writing solo music this year!

Q. You have such a powerfully unique voice, what has it taken for you to get to this point?
LR:
Thank you! I've always dabbled with singing as a kid but I've only been singing for about 3 years classically trained. I worked really, really hard to get to the point I'm at now. I did my warm ups every single day for those 3 years, practised singing every day along with consistent lessons. It was difficult when I was learning how to belt, I have a naturally powerful voice but I didn't know how to use it and it was wild and out of control! But after heaps and heaps of consistent practise, I harnessed it quite well. I'm a perfectionist and cursed with the 'I'm not good enough' feeling as well, so I'm always striving to be a better singer. I feel like you can never master your voice, it's something you work towards the rest of your life.


Q. And I feel that Venomous sticks long in the memory once you've listened to it. Is that something you've sought to create or did it just happen?
LR:
I actually wrote Venomous while I was still in bands, before I decided to be a solo artist. I think I wrote the whole thing in about ten minutes on the piano, so it just happened! Then I took the song to my producer and we created a magical electronic version of it.

Q. In many ways, Venomous, is very personal. Was that hard to put out there due to that?
LR:
I think at first I was slightly anxious because it's my first single, but after the release I've received only positive feedback and a lot of respect for writing so personally and honestly. Over the years, I think I've found ways to overcome critism regardless of other people's opinions, accept who I am and what my art is representing. Everyone will have an opinion even if you write a song that isn't personal. You're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't, so you may as well be judged for being your authentic self!

Q. You have such infectious enthusiasm as well, do you think that has helped you in the music scene?
LR:
Yeah I think it definitely helps me in the music scene. When I see others who are actually excited about what they're doing regardless of the constant obstacles in this industry, I think it's refreshing to be around. It's important to have fun with what you're doing. The music industry is like a dream world, anything can happen at anytime! It's important to understand you can never control the outcome, so you may as well have fun during the process.

Q. What is your recording process like?
LR:
It's different every song! Usually I'll hand my songs I have written to my producer, we write the electronic version together and once we have a base it's time to record vocals.
It can get really emotional and dark in that booth though, I'm super weird I tend to switch off the lights and belt out in the dark. I used to be terrified of the dark as a child, so I feel really powerful in there like I'm taking back control of everything in my life - all my fears and worries. Nothing matters when I'm in that room and I'm completely present. It feels good to also release any negative emotions, but afterwards I have to shake off the mood I got myself into. It's a super emotional process for me, I'm very attached to my music.
Q. How often are you in the studio making music?
LR:
At the moment constantly, every week or two! And if I'm not in the studio recording, I'm writing new songs and singing.

Q. Does making music come naturally to you or is it tough?
LR:
Usually it comes naturally. I have a pretty dark past and so much to write about. I feel like I could write songs about a lot of things for the rest of my life! There are certain times when I don't feel creative or I'm fatigued, but I'll bounce back when something bad happens to me haha. I don't stress about life when things go wrong now, it's just more ammunition.


Q. What artists are you listening to the most right now?
LR:
Lately so much of Lana Del Rey. I'm obsessed with her new album it's inspiring me at the moment. Eminem, Skylar Grey, Banks to name a few. Anyone who has a dark edge I probably have an unhealthy obsession with haha.

Q. What are some of your favourite albums of all time?
LR:
Lust for Life. Haha. It's legitimately amazing. Oh Lana.
I've always loved Deftones album White Pony, Frank Ocean's Channel Orange, Halsey's Badlands, The Altar by Banks, every single album by Eminem and Rihanna. One of my most favourites being The Slim Shady LP. I really love seeing artists fight back against the controversy, and regardless of any put downs they still create the art they want to create. I have so much respect for anyone who does that.

Q. And finally, what's next for you Luna, how are you planning to take over the music industry?

LR: I'm currently in the studio creating some really crazy tracks. They are literally the most wild songs I've written, it just keeps getting weirder and darker. I'm super excited about it! Can't speak on the release dates yet, but if you're following my pages you'll hear about it! Thanks so much for having me.


Listen to Luna on Soundcloud
Listen to Luna on Youtube
Follow Luna on Instagram
Follow Luna on Twitter
Visit Luna's Website