Top 50 Albums of The Year 2017 (20-11)


Top 50 Albums of The Year

Starting to venture into my top 20 albums of the year now. It's at this point you realise what a phenomenal year it's been for music and it truly makes me happy to compile this list of albums that I've loved throughout the year. And if I could make you listen to every single one then I would, but I can only endeavour to make you do so. But without further ado, at numberrrrrr 20...


20. The Big Moon - Love In The 4th Dimension

A Mercury Prize nominated debut album, thats something to stand out on your CV. The Big Moon have grabbed their edgy girl group niche with both hands and have the tunes to match. They've produced banger after banger with tracks like 'Cupid' which they performed at the Mercury awards. However, it's the blistering 'Formidable' that sets my ears alight, with it's fantastic guitar work, slow start and fast build up. Lovely.

19. Kasabian - For Crying Out Loud

I saw Kasabian live a few weeks ago, and they were absolutely phenomenal. Arguably this album shouldn't sit at number 19 (because of you 'Are You Looking For Some Action?'). But the tracks are so infectiously good otherwise, an album full of hits and probably their best since their debut. 'You're In Love With A Psycho' is probably THE single of the year and other tracks like 'Good Fight' and 'Comeback Kid' provide some much needed bangers.


I absolutely love Sundara Karma, and I'd love to see them live. But they never tour near me for some reason (Just like you INHEAVEN). Nonetheless, this album has absolutely earned its place on this list with tunes like 'Olympia' the toe tapper of the year. These are the songs that you sing at the top of your lungs, drunkenly, in the middle of an arena. This is a defining album for the band, and I can't see them topping it at any point.


Rant first. WHY have they just released a 'collectors edition' of this with the tracklist in reverse. I don't see the album any differently and I only see it as a way of capitalising off of all those rumours and theories that surrounded its release. Rant over. I was so hyped for this album upon release, but I'm just not sure it has the longevity of GKMC and TPAB. Those albums are already undeniable classics, this was fun when the theories were flying around, but now that they're all dead in the water... But that doesn't change the fact that this is one of the rap albums of the year. Kendrick is so imaginative with his songs, XXX perfectly intertwines U2 somehow and the Rihanna collab doesn't feel like a sell out. There's so much unique and wonderful production on this thing, it's great.

16. The Sherlocks - Live For The Moment

A grower of a band if there ever was one. I wasn't necessarily the biggest fn when I first heard them, I didn't quite understand the hype However, after buying the album from Longwell Records, I put it on and fell in love with it after one listen. The lead singer has a very unique voice, it's almost a mixture of a few accents and it becomes more and more enjoyable with every listen. 'Chasing Shadows' and 'Blue are personal highlights, along with the titles track of the record.


The legend that is Liam Gallagher finally released his solo album, much to my surprise as I genuinely thought we were never going to hear from him again. But here we are. I loved Beady Eye to be honest, I loved the creativeness and the reinvigoration of that iconic 60's sound they used so well. As You Were is a very safe album, Liam sticks to what he's good at. And there's nothing wrong with that, it's an absolutely bloody brilliant album. And after singing these at the top of my lungs witha few thousand people at the Motorpoint Arena I think it's safe to say I love them even more now. Stand out tracks are 'Universal Gleam', 'For What It's Worth' and the best of the lot, 'Chinatown'. Love it! As you were, KMMR x


Britpop legends. AGAIN! It's almost as if I'm a humongous fan of the genre. The Charlatans really pushed the boat out on this album, with the phenomenal opener, 'Hey Sunrise', setting a cheerful mood for a very cheery album. The title track is a stand out as well and the appearance of acclaimed write Ian Rankin was a shock at first but I love his little segment in the middle. And that's what I love from Tim Burgess and Co, the attention to detail and the utilisation of Tim Burgess' very very unique voice. 


And to think I thought I didn't like Wolf Alice. Yet here they sit. Above The Charlatans and Liam Gallagher in my albums of the year. But this album holds a special place in my heart because it's one of about 5 albums that I was genuinely very excited to hear (This, Noel Gallagher, Liam Gallagher, Declan McKenna & Kendrick Lamar in case you were wondering) and it absolutely did not disappoint me. 'Don't Delete The Kisses' is so harmoniously beautiful I can barely even comprehend it enough to put it into words. And 'Yuk Foo' is so vigorously listenable it's actually catchy. How you make a song like that so infectious I will never know.


I first discovered EE after hearing them on the FIFA soundtrack with 'Distant Past' so when this album came out I saw it on Spotify Discover and thought I'd give it a listen. Absolutely blown away immediately. Their dark pop is one of the most intriguing and interesting things I've ever heard. Tracks like 'Night of The Long Knives' and 'Can't Do' elevate this album to 12th place on my list. If you're a fan of dark pop, indie pop or rock infused with pop then please check out this album, you wont regret it.

11. Cabbage - Young, Dumb & Full of...
God, I love this band. They're so truthful, edgy and they single handedly have made me a fan of punk. Which is no mean feat because I couldn't get into it at first but I'm really becoming a big fan. This album is just a compilation of all of their early EPs and despite the cut and shut nature of that, it flows surprisingly well as a whole album. Due to a release in the past few weeks this album was just pushed out of the top 10, but if you're a fan of punk then check out this album. One of the finest bands coming out of Manchester right now.

Top 50 Albums of The Year