Cabbage at The Castle & Falcon, Birmingham (Live Review)


Are Cabbage one of the best bands in Britain right now? Probably. Are they the best punk band? Definitely. The post-punk band with a devout cult following make me giddy with excitement everytime they tour or bring out new music. Their collection of EPs 'Young, Dumb & Full Of...' is one of the best punk projects I've ever heard and continues to astound me with its ludicrously loud, brash and brilliant tracks like "Uber Capitalist Death Trade", "Indispensable Pencil" and "Terrorist Synthesizer" to name but a few. 


I was excited about the support act The Rhythm Method, I've been listening to their infectious pop crossed with rap, spoken word and all round beltingly infectious tunes. Especially "Party Politics" and "Something For The Weekend" which were performed excellently, and I'm a huge fan of the whole dynamic of Joey and Rowen on the stage and how side-splittingly funny Joey is in between songs. Even going as far as whispering "If you voted Tory you're a n*nce" after a song. The Rhythm Method don't care what you or I think of them, but they should, because I think they're brilliant.


The lights went off and the crowd eagerly waited for the 5 boys from Manchester to take to the stage. Instead the speaker started blaring out Madonna's "Like A Prayer" at full volume... one of the more stranger moments I've witnessed and it's definitely not something I was expecting at a Cabbage gig. Eventually they rocked onto the stage to perform their glorious new banger "Arms of Pleonexia" which sounded just as mental and brilliant live as it does on the recorded version. And luckily they performed some of the new songs as well which sound very polished and brilliant as they jumped around on stage they oozed energy into the crowd who continued moshing to every single song. "Tell Me Lies About Manchester" was introduced to have a drum beat bouncing long it with as much vigour as it was sung. Seeing Cabbage is always a pleasure, and I can't wait to see them in Leicester in April once 'Nihlistic Glamour Shots' has been released. I''m sure it's going to be full of tunes.