Introducing... Anika


Anika is a singer songwriter from Cupertino, CA in the USA. She hs been predominantly producing covers during the early hours of her career but she's finally took the bold step to making her own music. And I'm really glad that she took that risk and opportunity because her music is so soulful and evocative with some really harmonic vocals. For fans of people like Bryson Tiller, SZA and Rihanna. There's a little something for everyone and you better start listening now before she takes over the charts. Luckily, I had the chance to chat with her regarding her move from covers to orignals....

Question. What made you want to start writing music?
Anika:
I was tired of doing covers, I wanted to be my own artist.

Q. Has music come naturally to you or is it something you've had to work towards?
A:
Singing has come naturally to me… However, the other aspects (beats/song writing/playing instruments) never came naturally to me—it’s been a huge learning process.

Q. When going into the studio, does making music come naturally or are you very organized and know exactly what you're ready to create?
A:
I would say a little bit of both. Each song that we’ve worked on has been a process of figuring out different cadences, lyrics, and concepts. While this is still organized (in terms of writing down lyrics, structuring the song, etc.), the whole process still feels natural.

Q. How long have you been making music?
A:
I’ve been making original songs for the past two years.

Q. What has made you stop and think of how far you've come in terms of songwriting and overall as an artist?
A:
I would say that hearing more creativity in my own songs... in comparison to my old songs.

Q. What's your favorite part of performing a gig?
A:
I love to see the audience vibe with my music, and any positive feedback that comes my way!


Q. What makes you feel most creative?
A:
Being around creative people—the support system and artists that I’m surrounded with is inspiring in itself. The right energy is also key.

Q. Who/What has been your biggest influence?
A:
I don’t think I’ve been influenced by a specific person. I grew up listening to Indian music and have always fed off of it for creativity and inspiration.

Q. What are you listening to at the moment?
A:
Currently, I am listening to H.E.R, Syd, Bryson Tiller, and various Indian artists.

Q. And what's your favorite album of all time?
A:
My favorite album of all time is from an Indian movie called Lagaan. Besides that, I’m a huge fan of Twenty88, Ego Death, H.E.R., and Trapsoul.

Q. What's your ultimate goal?
A:
My ultimate goal is to connect with different cultures and travel the world through my music.

Listen to Anika on Soundcloud
Follow Anika on Instagram