Live Review: Alvvays at O2 Academy, Leicester (22/2/2018)


I've been exploring Alvvays' music ever since their single "In Undertow" was in a Flying Vinyl box a few months back. The single was so infectious, insinuating this band had found the keys to exploring a pop masterclass. The B-side "Dream Tonite" further proved this, it was more melodic but more harmonious. From that I already knew they were a band I would want to see live, so I gave their album Antisocialites a listen and then bought some tickets to see them.


I've never been into the O2 Academy 2 in Leicester, it's not too dissimilar from the main room, it's just missing a balcony and the floor space is probably bigger. And... Alvvays blew my socks off. Arguably being one of the best performing bands I've ever seen because many of the set sounded better than my vinyl copy of their second album which astounded me and as the set plowed on I was hoping it wouldn't come to an end. I loved the little bit of banter from the band in between songs as well and as vocalist, Molly Rankin, sang her way with ease through the set you wouldn't have ever known they were Canadian. If you're a big indie pop fan then you need to see Alvvays live, it's bliss