Shame - Songs of Praise (Album Review)


Shame are a band that I jumped onto the bandwagon of far too late. It did, however, mean that I didn't have to wait long for the release of their debut album. The last thing I ever purchased from Rise, Bristol was the 7 inch of Tasteless, and I hadn't even heard the song yet. Admittedly, this is a song that I've fallen in love with since, so I was more than ready for Songs of Praise to be released.

The album doesn't disappoint on any front, it's loud and proud in the words of the band themselves. I do particularly enjoy the heavier songs over the more melodic songs. Songs such as 'Concrete' which show the band at their angriest as they tip into the punk genre at points. And that's something I love about this album as well, it doesn't nail itself to one genre, it even venture into spoken word on 'One Lick' which is really surprising and frankly, disgustingly brilliant.


Shame are not the type of band to care about any of the words written on this page to review their album, but if they were all they would find are glowing reviews because it seems that people are loving this album. I'm going to see them at The Cookie in March and it's already sold out. If you were lucky enough to get a ticket, I'll see you down the front

9/10