My 25 Record Store Day 2018 Must-Haves


Check out my stories from previous Record Store Day's

Record Store Day is creeping up on us now, and despite it receiving wider spread criticism than it ever has, I'm still unashamedly on board with it. I get that it puts pressure on pressing plants and results in some releases being pushed back, I completely understand the negatives. However, on no other day of the year are you going to see people camping outside their record store for any release, it never happens because most pre-order or just waltz in during the day to pick it up. Not to mention, this is a really good social event. I've met lots of like minded people, a lot who were only there for a single release and some who were desperately seeking a plethora of things. Nonetheless, in fear of this getting too ranty - here is my list of the 25 things I'm going to be looking out for on Record Store Day, 2018.......

Jake Bugg - Alcohol
It's hard to remember a time when I wasn't a fan of Jake Bugg - he's always been an artist I've kept a close eye. The sort of fandom where you enjoy their critically panned albums (On My One was a great album and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise). I went to see him on the latest acoustic tour and he was outstanding - so I'm happy to see him releasing two of the covers he does on this very exclusive 7 inch. This is something really quite special and I love the retro look.

Arcade Fire - Arcade Fire EP
Arcade Fire's first EP was only ever released on CD and sold at gigs, so it's safe to say that it's pretty rare. Until now! The EP is being released on vinyl for the first time ever and I'm sure there's thousands of Arcade Fire fans, worldwide, who would love to get their hands on this. It's not that limited so as long as you get to your local for opening time then you shouldn't have a problem.

Tim Burgess - As I Was Now
I would jump through hoops to get this. Those of you that know me will know that I'm a huge Charlatans fan. I've met Tim Burgess and he's genuinely a lovely bloke, he has so much time for fans it's a wonder he ever gets anything done. Anyway, his album with Peter Gordon was, to put it bluntly, quite beautiful. So to think Tim thought this had been released but never had is crazy to me and I' absolutely frothing at the mouth to get my grubby hands on a copy. These are VERY limited and I'm going to be queuing early just for it.

The National - Boxer (Live In Brussels)
The National make heartwarmingly heartbreaking music, and that's the best way to put it. This live rendition of their classic album 'Boxer' promises to be just as good as the record. All of those who were actually at the gig in Brussels promise that it was one of the best of all time. Once again, this isn't that limited so as long as you get down to you record store for opening times then you should be just fine getting hold of a copy.

Wolf Alice - Don't Delete The Kisses
This is genuinely one of the best songs ever written, I don't think a love song in the future is ever going to top this and it's wondrous to think that I could potentially own it on 12" in the near future. I'm excited to see whether the remixes will do the original justice as well, as I'm not that fond of remixes I love. But I trust Wolf Alice to pull through with some corkers on this.

Sigrid - Don't Kill My Vibe
This is a phenomenal debut EP from Sigrid, it's just pure pop goodness from a really creative place. She has such a unique and warm singing voice with just a slight hint of her European accent coming through on a few of the songs. I'd reccomend picking this up as long as you're behind me in the queue.

Various Artists - Independent Venue Week 2018
I only really want this because I went to the Gaz Coombes gig that has a track listed on here, but it's also a really good opportunity to hear some of the bands that took part in Independent Venue Week which is just like RSD and for a great cause. If this helps to support venues like The Cookie then I'm all for it. As long as there's nothing to do with Steve Lamacq clinging onto fame by spouting tons of nonsense and spewing his unnecessary opinion.

David Bowie - Let's Dance (Demo)
A lot of people are strongly against the Bowie releases that happen year in, year out. I'm all for them, I'm a huge Bowie fan and whilst I'm not totally for the rinsing of everything that he's left behind. I am all for getting new and unreleased Bowie music. This 12" Let's Dance (The single, not the album) demo is something that is unnecessarily expensive but makes for a fine addition to anyones collection.

Public Image Limited - Live at Brixton Academy 1986
Publice Image Ltd was the side rpoject of Sex Pistols frontman, John Lydon, this was a more tamer and less energetic affair than their counterparts. Whilst lyrically they were just as bold and abrasive, it didn't have the sound to match and I kind of like that about PiL. Nonetheless, they are notoriously good live - as their previous release show - so this live album that coincides with its cover design counterpart should shape up to be a glorious listen. Look at that cover art as well. So pristine.

Nas - Live From The Kennedy Centre
Nas' iLLmatic is one of the greatest albums ever released, it's truly magnificent. "NY State of Mind" is arguably the greatest rap song over the greatest beat of all time. The fact that this is even half related to iLLmatic means that I'm going to buy it because I worship that album. I've never listened to a Hip-Hop live album if I'm honest, but I guess there's a first time for everything.

Awolnation - Live in Vienna
Awolnation makes some pretty obscure music, it feels like it should be classified as pop but pop just seems too mainstream for this incredibly creative side project. Go check out their latest album because it's jam packed with bangers on bangers and I think you just might like it. DOn't pick this up if you're in front of me in the queue though because I want it!

Daughter - Music From Before The Storm
I would say that Life Is Strange has the greatest soundtrack of all time, definitely for a video game at least. This record comes from the second game in the series titled "Before The Storm" hence the name. I've not played the game yet but I've listened to this beautifully ambient and minimal album from the phenomenally talented band that are Daughter. I really should play that game...

Mal-One - Never Mind The Punk 45
This mash up of punk bangers promises to provide some entertainment. It's not very expensive at all so it's worth taking a punt on just for the sake of loving punk. I hope that it mixes well together and doesn't become a shoddy mess, that would be a shame as I can't see the resell value on this being very high. If you're into Punk then this is a must grab for you.

David Bowie - Now
I didn't pick up the Bowie promo box set last year. I still regret that, I just never thought I'd want to listen to it, but I think about it on a regular basis. It's only going for £40 on Discogs so I probably will pick it up at some point. So I'm not missing out on this promo that was sent across the pond to promo for the Berlin trilogy - a set of albums that should need no promo. As good as 'Heroes' is, I'd like to hear some rawer cuts from the album.

Mac Demarco - Old Dog Demos
Mac Demarco is an artist I've only just gotten into, which I'm ashamed to say. But his mixture of folk and indie with elements of pop is as irresistable as that doesn't sound! His latest album Old Dog is filled with summery goodness, the sort you put on during a hazy Sunday filled with too much liquor. These demos promise to provide an insight into what made that album so special and what foundations he built from to produce the album we know and love.  

Charlotte Gainsbourg - Remixes
Charlotte Gainsbourg's "Deadly Valentine" is quite possibly one of the slickest and most clinically producd dance-pop records I've ever heard. It builds into a beautiful song throughout it's course and is so unbelievably catchy for what it is. These remixes are the type of remixes I can get behind because the type of song warrants it. I'm hyped to give this a listen, as long as my local record store has it.

The Courteeners - St Jude
The Courteeners are a band I've only gotten into recently, they never really defined my younger years with their music and I only heard "Not Nineteen Forever" when I went to uni. But this album is full of potential noughties hits and for it's tenth anniversary it's getting a special red vinyl release for RSD. Am I going to pick it up? Hell yeah!

Run The Jewels - Stay Gold (Collectors Box)
My number 1 pick for the day. This is why I'm getting up at 5 o'clock on Saturday 21st April. It's not that limited, and probably not that in demand but as a humongous RTJ fan, there is nothing I need more in my life than this vinyl right here. It's a metal box containing only an EP, a slipmat and some stickers and will set me back £50. But it holds my copies of previous RTJ albums and will have a specific place for RTJ4. I'm overhyped, I just hope I'm not underwhelmed.

Various Artists - Sucker Punch OST
I'm not sure if this is a guilty pleasure purchase or not. Soundtracks are the "in-thing" in the vinyl world at the moment, but this isn't a score so I can't imagine many hipsters trying to get their sustainably manicured hands on this. But Emily Browning (The blonde, lead actress on the front) astounds me with her talent through her covers of songs on this, it's dark and angsty just like the film, but that makes it all that more atmospheric.

Suede - Suede (25th Anniversary Edition)
It seems as though Suede are releasing this album every few weeks now, starting to give it what I call the "Rumours Effect" after Fleetwood Mac's incessant rereleasing of their classic album. Nonetheless, this album comes with a different cover and contains all of the B-Sides and a few rarities, is that enough to warrant RSD pricing? Probably not, but if you're a fan of Suede then this is a must-have!

Gaz Coombes - The Oaks (Remixes)
I never was a fan of Suergrass. I'm still not. But Gaz Coombes' solo work is nothing short of genius. His album, 'Matador', is nothing short of perfection. I could listen to that over and over and over again without ever getting tired. His new single "Deep Pockets" is just as much of a work of art as well. So it's good to see him releasing something special for RSD, it's just a shame it's remixes of an unreleased track. Just release the unreleased track! This sits at the bottom of my list of must-haves but if I have a bad day picking things up then I'll get this.

Adam Sandler - They're All Gonna Laugh At You
Comedy has evolved since this album. It's a very immature, American album which doe hold it back yes. But I grew up with Adam Sandler, I used to regularly watch films like Happy Gilmore and Fifty First Dates. I used to even go and watch his SNL skits on Youtube, I loved the guy. It's a shame that his career has gone the way it has, he's just making trash movie after trash move these days. But this is a snapshot in time, a comedy album! When did you last see one of them?! I imagine this will end up in bargain bins, so I'll probably try and get it then.

The Maccabees - Wall of Arms
It's such a shame that I got into The Maccabees after they'd split up. I would have loved to have gone to one of their farewell shows, it would have been a very emotional affair. Wall of Arms might possibly be my least favourite album by them but it is still a really good album. The cover is a bit freaky, but that's all the more reason to pick up this 1 in a thousand picture disc.

Mansun - Wide Open Space
"Wide Open Space" is undoubtedly one of the best singles of the late 90's from a band who are more forgotten than they ever deserve to be. To honour the anniversary of 'Attack of The Grey Lantern' Paul Draper is supposedly releasing the whole album in a boxset later this year, so this must be the starter and I can't wait for the main course.

David Bowie - Welcome To The Blackout
And the last of the Bowie items I want to pick up. I love a good Bowie live album, if I do manage to get my mitts on this then it will be my fourth (Cracked Actor, Stage & a rare bootleg) are the others. It's hard to think of another artist I would have loved to have seen live more than Bowie, such a presence, not just amongst music but culture as a whole. Just imagine what actually seeing him perform would have been like. Majestic springs to mind.

Check out my stories from previous Record Store Day's