My Gig Wish List

Arctic Monkeys
It’s pretty much been a lifelong dream to go and see AM live, they’re a band that has always had a massive influence on me and they helped to define my teenage years. The AM tour was too expensive for me when I was 15 and any tour before that was as well, nonetheless, the thirst to see them perform their magnificent back catalogue has never died and I WILL see Alex Turner and co one day. On the plus side, I have seen Alex Turner live as part of The Last Shadow Puppets, but it’s just not the same.

Tyler The Creator
As of late I’ve not really listened to Tyler The Creator, I did give ‘Flower Boy’ a quick listen but I’ve not revisited it since despite it being half decent. But the 14 year old me is screaming at me to go and see the young rapper live, purely out of nostalgia. I remember the first time I listened to Goblin and it blew my puny little mind, I thought it was so edgy and cool at the time… Now not so much but still, I imagine he puts on one energetic show!

Echo & The Bunnymen
Echo are a band that I’ve only recently got into, as I constantly find their stuff in record stores I felt that I had to give them try because if I liked them I’d sweep up. I listened to them extensively, liked them, and now I never see their records it really is bad luck. Due to this though I’ve become quite the fan and I’d love to see them live before they get too old to tour.

Ezra Furman
Ezra changed the way I look at music, I can’t remember specifically the reason I listened to his music for the first time but it as soon as I put it on I was smitten. The utilisation of instruments to create an atmosphere along with some meaningful lyrics has made Ezra Furman somewhat of an idol of mine and who wouldn’t want to see that live? I bet it’s a really powerful, evocative and inspiring gig.

The Stone Roses
Britpop legends. Stadium Fillers. Classic makers. Are just some of the words to describe The Stone Roses, one of the most iconic bands in the history of music, and it’s for that reason that I’d love to see them and the only reason I haven’t so far is because of ticket prices, isn’t that always the reason? I just couldn’t justify £80 to sit at the back of Wembley, it was bad enough when I saw ELO.

U2
I’d have loved to have gone to The Joshua Tree tour, that truly would have been something special for me, that’s one of my favourite albums of all time and to see it played in full would have been mesmerising. Nonetheless, As a normal U2 album tour I don’t think I’d be all that bothered about seeing them, especially with the prices of the tickets, but for special events like that I should have not been so stingy and just bought them.

Childish Gambino
I think it’s safe to say at this point that Gambino is one of my favourite artists. Ever since I heard Camp it’s been that way, and although I’m not the biggest fan of that album anymore, it hasn’t aged well at all, I’m still fully on board with getting the opportunity to see him live. Even more so that Because The Internet was probably one of the greatest rap albums ever written, his latest project didn’t quite strike the same chord with me but it was interesting enough and I’m sure it would sound magnificent live.

Alt-J
If their music and videos are anything to go by then an Alt-J gig is going to be crazy weird, I can imagine loads of screens with weird stuff going on and a mad light show. To be honest that’s the least I expect, they have a certain level of weirdness to live up to in my mind. But putting all of that to one side, their music is so bloody good I’d love to see just a setlist full of all of my favourite Alt-J songs. I’d pay good money for that.

Kanye West
I’ve already seen Kanye on the Watch The Throne tour, but this is my favourite artist of all time we’re talking about here, and I’d love to hear some of the massive tunes he’s released since then, in the flesh. But he never brought the Yeezus tour to the UK which is annoying. I did get to see the Yeezy Season 3 reveal with The Life of Pablo played in full though which was an awe-inspiring event! I would pay A LOT of money to go and see Kanye live again and I mean A LOT!

Depeche Mode
I had the chance to go and see Depeche Mode and I didn’t go because I didn’t want to go by myself. I regret that wholeheartedly. Dave Gahan and co put on a tremendous show on their seemingly endless touring schedule and I wish could have witnessed it. As is the case with most aging artists, you never know when they’re going to give up on touring to a life of studio work and spending time with their family.