Post Malone - Beerbongs & Bentleys (Album Review)


It’s very easy to be fooled by some of the bass heavy beats on this, or the cool laid back tones of songs such as “Rockstar” but there is genuinely nothing special about this album. But it’s not terrible. Strange, I know, but hear me out. This is very listenable, you can put this on with your mates around and it just sits in the back around, it doesn’t mean anything and I think Post Malone knows this secretly.

It’s the lyrics I have the biggest problem with, no imagination or personality has gone into any of them, they mean literally nothing. For example, my favourite tune on this album is “Psycho” do I know what it’s about? Absolutely not, he just speaks about trusting no one, humble brag after humble brag and a sweet melodic beat to match. But then again I had such a fun time listening to this album, and I have revisited it when I have no idea what I want to listen to this is just easy to slap on whilst I decide.

I think the track “Over Now” sums up everything that is wrong with this album, arguably the laziest song on the album and easily the worst lyrics I’ve heard this year. Whether he’s ranging from degrading women to auto tuning his voice so much it’s unrecognisable I’m just not a fan of songs like this. And I understand that many Hip-Hop/R&B artists do this, but it’s the crass way in which he does that puts me off. But when you’ve got record breaking songs like “Rockstar”, why change a winning formula?

4/10