Sunflower Bean - TwentyTwo In Blue (Album Review)


I’m sure there a lot of people out there who believe that Fleetwood Mac are the greatest band of all time, you wouldn’t shock me at all if you told me that it was the majority. Although it probably isn’t. And you’d be hard pressed to find someone who didn’t love at least one song on Rumours, it’s undoubtedly one of the greatest albums of all time. This doesn’t mean that they needed to be flat out copied, which is basically what Sunflower Bean have done.

I wasn’t a big fan of their first album, it was indie pop with no personality and it was quite draining just listening to it. However, after hearing “I Was A Fool” I was hyped for this album, with lead guitarist on vocals as well I was looking forward to hearing how they would contrast the two of them, unfortunately though, they didn’t.

In a funny turn of events, my favourite song on this album is actually the biggest Fleetwood Mac ripoff. “Burn It” traverses skilfully and smoothly through the song, ramping up the ante with every single chorus, a call to arms in it’s own right with an added nostalgic twist. Nonetheless, I’m still not saying I hate this album, it was just disappointing. With the promise and hype of that lead single for me, I was hoping that they would stick to that formula and grow upon it and evolve the sound of the album as it developed. I am still going to try and catch them on their upcoming tour though, because live music always differs my opinion… and I’m hopelessly addicted to gigs!


5/10