The Hunna - Dare (Album Review)


The Hunna's first album, 100, was a genuine pop rock triumph. With tracks like "She's Casual" and "Piece By Piece" there's no way they could have failed. After catching them on tour with that album and seeing a show plagued with sound issues where I could barely hear the lead singer, Ryan Potter, illustrious vocals. Nonetheless, it's a small issue that wouldn't stop anyone from being a fan.

So I was understandably very excited for the second album which was announced to be called Dare. Then the track "Dare" was released and I wasn't a fan of it, it felt unimaginative and like it was trying too hard to not only recapture the sound of the first album but to also be more edgy and show a darker sound to them. Then the singles "Y.D.W.I.W.M" and "NY to LA" came out and I was just resorting to the fact that this album wasn't going to be for me.


However, a week before the albums release I revisited the singles and they just clicked with me. "Dare" felt like a completely different song, and I now see it as a huge power anthem that triumphs in every way. And I'm a massive fan of the slow build up into the chorus of "Y.D.W.I.W.M" which isn't as interesting as the initial verse. And now the album has been released I have to say I'm a huge fan of it.

The album flows perfectly well, this is something that stands out to me immediately. The tracklisting queues up each song perfectly well. And I'm also glad to see they've narrowed down the amount of songs. All killer no filler! I'm also pleased to see that they slow the album down a bit sometimes, I think the debut album is still better and has better songs but it would be much easier to describe this as a better album as a whole. It definitely represents progression at least!

7/10