PMMR's Corner: The Bag of CD's...


As I suggested in an earlier post I was watching a bag of 93 CDs on Gumtree which was £20. I collected them today…

I find it hard to accept sometimes that these little silver marvels of modern technology are now classed as a throw away item, especially after seeing them revolutionise music back in the 80’s and how they effectively ‘killed’ vinyl before its astonishing return of the last couple of years. The 16-year-old version of me with my Sentra music system would have killed to get his hands on a big bag of CD’s for £20! So, to the point, did this gamble pay off?

Let’s look at the split.

There was, as predicted, a lot of rubbish in here with a fair share of Now music and similar which is going straight to the charity shop along with some Vandross and similar which I have no interest in. However, there is a selection of fine music that is worth a listen, in fact whist typing this I am listening to a very fine album by The Twang called’ Love it when I feel like this’ n ever heard this before and it effectively cost me 21p. 21p to hear a selection of music I have never heard before isn’t bad is it?

After a sort and a second sort and a final sort I have split the haul and I will be keeping 60 of the CD’s for my collection. They vary quite a bit but there are some little gems in there which I will cover later. My wife grabbed 8 various artist CD’s for her car and KMMR grabbed 2 CD’s for his exclusive CD collection (he is the biggest vinyl junkie ever and CD is a strange concept to him). So that means 70 CD’s have been absorbed into the household music selection. I don’t think this was too bad considering I had no idea what I was buying…

So, I will list the best of the lot and see if it was worth it.

The Killers – Sam’s Town
Red Hot Chilli Peppers – By The Way & Greatest Hits 
Stereophonics – Performance & Cocktails
The Magic Numbers - S/T
The Fratellis – Costello Music
Gorillaz – Demon Days
Oasis – Heathen Chemistry and Don’t Believe The Truth
The Streets – A Grand Don’t Come For Free 
Keane – Hopes and Fears
The Verve – Urban Hymns
Kaiser Chiefs – Yours Truly, Angry Mob
Dire Straits – Brothers in Arms
Feeder – The Singles
Coldplay – X & Y

Obviously, there are more but I reckon that little lot adds up to more than £20’s worth of entertainment?

I am really pleased with this haul and I know people will say they are ‘only CD’s’ (Editors Note: They are only CDs) but I have just increased my music collection by a margin and that cannot be a bad thing. Also, as a bonus they are all in perfect condition. A result I feel!

Now back onto Gumtree (and others) to see what else I can find!