Live Review: Spilt Milk Society at The Sunflower Lounge, Birmingham (14/10/18)


Spilt Milk Society are a band I've been watching with eagerness since seeing them obliterate The Sunflower Lounge when supporting Riscas earlier this year. Unfortunately, after that a few more members of the band left and that meant they took a short hiatus to realign themselves and get back to winning ways. This resulted in their comeback single "Turtleneck Boy" - which is admittedly a huge grower, I was a bit iffy on it at first but after 10 listens it really resonated and now it's been stuck in my head for about 3 weeks.
I only caught the second support act before the show which was Flares, unknowingly seeing a band twice in 2 days is not something I've ever done before but with these I'm kind of glad. They're very young but they have the stage presence, the talent and some absolutely belting tunes which may just carry them all the way. They bloody love a clap along as well, I'll give them that!

Then it was time for Spilly Milk. There were a few songs in the setlist I've never heard before, particularly the opening tune was an absolute toe tapper - this is where I find out it's already been released and I could have been listening to it all along. Then there was the new tune which is set to be released in December I believe. And that was more of a hark back to their earlier tunes than "Turtleneck Boy" but still maintains the very happy and glowing tone that song as brought forward in the bands discography.
And the crowd favourites went down an absolute treat. "She Tastes Like Summer" and "Cops and Robbers" got the biggest reaction from the crowd who were so relentless they pretty much forced th band into an improptu encore of "Amsterdam" which frontman, Harry Handford, had to play without his guitar. It really is great to see a band like this and follow their rise to the top because honestly if Spilt Milk Society aren't playing arenas within the next 10 years then I'm rioting!