KMMR's TOP 50 ALBUMS OF 2018 // 40-31


And then we move into the 30s, the self-titled pop extravaganza that this is. If you haven't read the previous installments then check them out below:


40. Bad Sounds - Get Better

I was hoping for a little more from this album but there's no longevity to it whatsoever. Whilst there are some incredibly funky and fantastically produced songs, it doesn't quite pull the album through. Nonetheless, tunes such as "Milk It" and "Wages" are some proper stompers that would make a songs of the year list if I made one.

39. Tom Grennan - Lighting Matches

I find the same issues with this album as I did Bad Sounds, albeit Tom Grennan has a fantastic voice which really makes his music that little bit more unique for me. I do find there's little to no variation between the songs but I can't help but just really enjoy this album.

38. Confidence Man - Confident Music for Confident People

One of the dance records of the year. Whilst it isn't particularly my favourite music genre I can recognise some great music if I hear it and that's particularly what Confidence Man have done. With some of the catchiest beats I've ever heard and some really unique sampling which pulls together into an album which I feel needs to be experienced as a whole.

37. Insecure Men - S/T

I would have never expected Fat White Family to end up making this type of music, well sort of. It's only the lead singer, but there's a more wholesome sound to this with much better production than Fat White Family ever had. To say this is great background music would do a disservice to the album but it really is!




36. Dream Wife - S/T

This album never left my turntable for a fair few weeks when it first came out but I've not revisited it since because I have no desire to however I like how this album deals with a lot of important issues and discusses the perils of being women and maintains a constant sound throughout the whole track. A great punk/rock album nonetheless with the lead singers unique voice really setting this apart from the rest of the music this year.

35. Suede - The Blue Hour

Britpop/Indie stalwarts Suede have been quietly making fantastic music for many years now, and they're on my bucket list to see live. This new album is a lot more doom and gloom than their previous albums but I think that's helped them to really come into their own and their creativity has shone through because of that.

34. Thee Oh Sees - Smote Reverser

An album that I only listened to recently has snuck in at the 34 spot purely due to how heavy and yet intricate this album is, it made for a fascinating listen and I'm really pumped to pick this up on vinyl at some point.

33. Deaf Havana - Rituals

As I write this one of the band have just left and I hope this doesn't skew their new creative direction which has seen them create one of the better pop albums of the year which is impressive considering their previous releases, especially those surrounding their debut. Songs such as "Sinner" and "Holy" are some of the most pristine and clean cut pop songs in recent years and whether you think that is a good thing or not is up to you but I personally love the new Deaf Havana.

32. Pale Waves - My Mind Makes Noises

One of my biggest disappointments of the year, not only because most of the album sounds exactly the same but because of the expectations I'd set in my head for Pale Waves. With singles such as "Television Romance" and "There's A Honey" I thought they were the second coming of out of the box, genius pop music. But in reality the album just fell flat. There's still some good tunes on there like the singles and "Karl" - I'm really glad the song I share a name with was good.

31. DMAs - For Now

DMAs are a band I'm growing to hate purely for the people who devoutly follow them - I call this "The RatBoy Scenario". A bunch of indie teenagers get their stone island jackets out, their bucket hats and then go and watch a band who create some of the most powerful and genuinely heart felt indie anthems - it just doesn't add up. For Now wasn't as good as Hills End in my opinion, but it's still going to be interesting to see where DMAs go from here.