Caswell - Blindside (EP Review)


Caswell has returned with her second EP, after her debut release 'The Shadow Aspect' easily swooped my EP of the year and has been in and out of my playlists ever since. A project that truly showed raw emotion alongside some magnificent production built into a few tracks that I really wish were a full length album (and one day I hope sees a vinyl release). Understandably ever since then I've been looking forward to some new music from the genre-bending singer-songwriter.

I enjoyed the deeper, introspective and ultimately, more defined songs on this EP, "Stay The Night" incorporates some jazz-like melodies that assist in building the emotion of the song and coincide perfectly with Caswell's unique vocals. There is an air of darkness to Blindside though, consistently building an atmosphere that there is a damning verdict around almost every corner, every verse.

"Hurt Me Bad" is a stone cold banger ready for the charts. It is the most clean, precise and well-produced pop song I've heard in a long while with not only some great drops but so beautifully written especially with the breakdown of the song about 2/3's of the way through.

I wasn't expecting such a departure from the sounds and emotions on The Shadow Aspect on the very next EP but I'm so glad that Caswell has provided us with something completely new, representing the sheer diversity of her talent and her ability to craft catchy, emotive and beutiful songs to put on no matter the mood.

9/10